Manila

Friday, April 29, 2011

Almost Died

On my 7th birthday, I almost died. We were at that a public beach to celebrate my birthday. Well, not much of people were in for a swim that they, so only a handful of people were there. It was mid-day, and my older cousins called me and some other family members for lunch. I asked if I could stay longer and enjoy my dip in the water. Since it was my birthday, an indeed "Yes" was given to me. While I was in the water, I had a magnificent view of my family enjoying the lunch that the entire family helped out to prepare. It was nice. I tried to be a little braver and try to go farther from the shore. Step by step i walked backward and away from the shore. Then a few steps more backwards, I felt the sand on my feet, and every step to move forward again seemed to be not happening since I just kept on slipping away at every step. That few seconds in my life was serene and frightening at the same time. I was so serene since a sudden silence filled the air. All I could hear was my breath trying to grasp more air as I was drowning. The colors of my view becomes more vivid. Nothing else matter that few seconds of my precious life but to breath and make that step forward so that I could reach out and step on the stones again and to assure me that I will not drown. It was frightening because I know at that very moment was everybody was busy and nobody could have given much attention to save me since I was there alone in the beach taking a dip. On those moments of silence, I could hear my heartbeat more. Each heartbeat sounded so precious and priceless to a person who knows that he or she is dying. Then, at of nowhere, a wave gave me strong push forward and finally I was able to step on that stones that assured me that I was alive again. Those rough stones assured me that I was safe and I gained my life back. I never told that story to anybody else; not even my parents and close friends. Since that day, I looked at life differently. I begin to realize that my life was only borrowed and can be taken away from you whether you are prepared to go or not; or if your are ready or not. I look at my life differently now. That was a close call for me that day. Since that incident, I am aware to this very day that I almost died and I would not be able to experience life if it was not for that day I had my life back. I am more than thankful enough to know that I am alive. I do not know how to swim that day and up to this day. It is a beautiful day outside and I am thankful for it today. You should be thankful too.

No comments:

Post a Comment